Wednesday, August 03, 2005

What I Want To Be When I Grow Up

When I was very little I wanted to be a variety of things. I was going to be a ballerina, a nurse, a fireman, a doctor, a housewife, and President of the United States. Let me be perfectly clear, I was going to be all these things AT ONCE. When I was little nothing seemed impossible. When I was about eight I chucked it all to be a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader. Even then I wanted to be the center of attention. I also wanted great big boobs. Makes ya wonder doesn't it?

As I grew older I sort of settled into the housewife thing. I wanted to be married by the time I was 23. I wanted to have all my kids by the time I was 26 (1 a year starting at 24) and maybe be a school teacher after all my children where past their fifth birthday. Everyone in my family married young. It just seemed the thing to do.

By the time I started college I had decided to be a pediatric psychiatrist. I figured I was crazy so I could recognize other crazy people. Also the thought of helping children really intrigued me. Unfortunately going to school for a thousand years and paying a million dollars to do so didn't much appeal to me. After a few false starts I settled into Early Childhood Development. I planned on teaching kindergarten and raising my own family.

My life didn't turn out how I planned it. I didn't become a ballerina, a nurse, a fireman, a doctor, a housewife, or President of the United States. I didn't become a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader. I did get the boobs though. I didn't get married at 23. I wasn't done having children by the time I turned 26. I don't teach kindergarten. Things didn't turn out the way I planned but I have a wonderful life. I love my job. I help children every single day. I deal with crazies all the time. Maybe someday I'll have the husband and the kids but if not it'll be ok. Sometimes things work out better than you ever could have planned.

When I grow up I want to be exactly what I am right now.



Thanks to Jen in Door County for suggesting this as an entry. Anyone else?