The first Christmas after The Boy moved away from my town was a very hard one for me. He and I had finally decided to be together. We had decided that I would move to California once he was settled and eventually we would have a home and start a family. We decided to spend Christmas and New Year's apart to save money. We would be together soon enough. We would have many more holidays together for the rest of our lives.
Have you ever been so in love that you want to give the object of your affection the world? I wanted to show The Boy how much he meant to me. I wanted to give him something special. Something that said "I love you" in a big way. His birthday falls near Christmas so needless to say I went on a shopping frenzy. I bought sweaters and gloves and scarves. (He was in Colorado at the time and had no warm clothes. Don't ask.) I sent him underwear because I was afraid he was going commando. I purchased his favorite cologne because he had left his bottle with me so I could "smell" him daily. I bought him a bunny just like the one I sleep with so he would still have something to laugh at every night before he went to sleep. I got him a gift certificate to his favorite bar in Colorado so he could go and have "good" beer. I even got him kayak lessons on the Colorado River because he said he wanted to do it. I went a little overboard. But these weren't even the best presents in my mind.
As you may know, The Boy introduced me to Ryan. The Boy loved Ryan. I decided that I would get him bootlegs of Ryan concerts for Christmas. Did you know that if you do not have shows to trade it is really fucking hard to get people to give up CD's of shows. I contacted about 20 people in our great country and not one of them wanted to help me. Finally a guy a New Zealand emailed me saying he would help only because he would be overwhelmed if his girlfriend did something like that for him. NEW ZEALAND! So I picked out 10 shows that I wanted, mailed the guy the blank CD's and postage, and sat back and prayed. Mr. New Zealand contacted mm to tell me he was throwing in two rare demos because I kicked ass so much that he wanted to help make our Christmas the best it could be. It still amazes me that some people can be so nice to total strangers. The CD's were the best present I could have ever gotten him.
The second best present was a Glo-Worm. See once upon a time The Boy got drunk and was playing with a Glo-Worm at my house. He kept asking me if someday we would have little Glo-Worms of our own. Yeah it was corny but he was drunk. I, being a silly twat of a girl, though it was cute. I went to 7 stores before I found a Glo-Worm. I put the Glo-Worm in a blanky and stuck it in with all the other presents and mailed everything off. I just knew it would be the best Christmas ever and he would know he was loved. I really wanted him to feel loved.
The Boy received my package on Monday, the package from New Zealand on Tuesday, and the gift certificate on Wednesday. I told him he could open everything on Thursday. On Thursday, I was golden. According to him, there was never a better girlfriend/future wife anywhere in the world. He couldn't imagine anyone going to the trouble to get bootlegs from New Zealand. He even loved the Glo-worm. He said he had warm clothes, clean underwear, good beer, a sporting activity, something to sleep with when I wasn't there, and great music. He only wished he had me. I only wish it had been true.
By the way, I got a card for Christmas that year. I didn't even get copies of the Ryan shows. But it's the thought that counts right? Yeah, I just keep telling myself that.
PS Don't say a fucking word about me not saving any money by buying him all those presents. I do not want to hear it.
Monday, December 27, 2004
Christmas - A Time For Giving
Posted by
Lola
at
12/27/2004 10:45:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)
|