Monday, January 03, 2005

But We Are Just Friends...

I have been doing some deep thinking lately. It hurts my brain. Seriously, I've had a migraine since New Year's Eve. And no, I'm not still hungover. I watched When Harry Met Sally. Ever since I watched it I've been wondering if men and women can truly be just friends.

I'm friends with all of my ex's save for two. The Boy had a huge problem with that. He felt men and women could not be just friends. Well he could be friends with women but I couldn't be friends with anyone I used to date. Even if I never slept with them. Funny, he is the one that ended up marrying his "friend." Weird how things work out. I argued and argued that men and women could just be friends. I fought to stay friends with certain people because, though I was no longer in love and/or lust with them, they were important to me. Maybe I was wrong.

Not to sound too neurotic here but can men and women be just friends? Yes, I have men friends that I am not attracted to at all. No weirdness there. But if there are two semi-attractive people of the opposite sex can they be friends? When does friendly banter become flirtation? When does one overstep their bounds?

I am a guy's girl. I cuss. I drink beer from a bottle. I like to watch the fights at hockey games. I have a girly side but I mostly try to keep that hidden. Fuck, who am I kidding? I try to keep a lot hidden. A girl friend of mine recently told me that it was weird that I had more guy friends that close girl friends. She also said most of them were hanging around waiting for me to get drunk enough that they could fuck me. I don't believe that is true. I hope it isn't true. I hope she was just being mean.

I also had a conversation with someone where I made a joke about how I didn't want to be too nice to them lest they think I like them. I meant like them as a person. I was trying to be a bitch in a joking way. The person thought I meant like them in that "pass a note in study hall and check yes or no if you like me" way. I feel bad now. I think I may have freaked him out. But it just goes to show you that where men and women are concerned you have to be careful with what you say and how you say it.

So between When Harry Met Sally, my bitch friend that is a girl, and a stupid aside I made myself I have been left to wonder about this. When someone says "But we are just friends"; are they really just friends? Are is one of them looking to get laid?