Sunday, November 07, 2004

Sense Of Smell

Isn't the sense of smell a weird yet wonderful thing? Certain smells can take you back to different parts of your life. Smells can bring happy memories or sad ones. Smell can make you sick to your stomach. Smell can make you want to fuck. Smell can make you want to make love.

I cannot stand the smell of Lysol. It reminds me of the time I was in the hospital when I was in 9th grade. Everytime I smell Lysol I get sick. I think of the tubes and wires attached to me and I get physically ill. Not a good memory.

The smell of the ocean takes me here. I spent a wonderful Christmas vacation here. Going to sleep with the sounds of the waves. Basking in the warm sunshine during the day. Drinking in the local customs and the local alcohol. Spending my time getting nut brown and thinking of nothing but the beauty of the ocean.


The smell of Christmas trees reminds me of the promise in a kiss. Smelling tequila makes me think of a summer spent in Puerto Rico. White chocolate truffles makes me thing of a summer spent in Japan. Sometimes I catch the musky scent that reminds you of sex . I think of the best sex I ever had. Bent over the foot of his bed, begging for more.

This morning I smelled The Boy. I awoke and was certain he was in my bed. I suppose my dream was so vivid that I smelled his cologne. His own personal scent. I reached across the bed for him before I realized that he wasn't really there. It made me sad that I won't ever breathe in his scent again.