Monday, November 08, 2004

Too Short But I Love Him

I went here to see him. I also went here to see him two nights in a row. I'm trying to go here to see him. And I will be here on November 20th to see the genius that is Ryan Adams. Yes, I'm a little obsessive. I love him almost as much as I loved The Boy. OK , that's an exaggeration.


My history or rather my memories of and with The Boy tie in very much with Mr. Adams. The Boy introduced to me to the heartbreakingly beautiful music of Ryan right before he broke my heart the first time.


The Boy told me I just had to buy the CD by this guy Ryan Adams. I ran right out and purchased it. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to break someone's heart or someone with a broken heart. The Boy said it made him think of me. About 5 minutes after that he told me he was moving back to where he came from. I then expressed how I felt about what he had told me. I believe my words were "You cowardly motherfucker." I could be wrong about that though.


The Boy had moved to my town about 2 months before I met him. I had broken off an engagement about the same time he hit town. No matter what anyone says, timing IS everything. He hated living in my town and was unsure how he felt about dating someone on the "rebound". I wasn't on the rebound but that's a story for another day. To say we had a rocky relationship was an understatement. In case you've missed it, I'm a bit dramatic. I'm what you call colorful. A firecracker. A capricious, pain in the ass bitch is what some might call me. He was no walk in the park either. But I loved him.

The thing is I knew. I knew from the our second encounter that I loved him. He kissed me goodnight on the cheek when he could have done so much more. I cannot explain how I knew but just trust me. I knew. I loved him with my whole heart. Have you ever loved someone like that?

The Boy eventually moved away after many break ups and make ups. Many times I sat in a warm bath with a glass of wine listening to this waiting for him to call. He introduced me to tons of music but Ryan is the one that captured my heart and hung on.

Yes, I am skipping parts of the story. Maybe I will fill in the details later. I look back on my time with The Boy and I am both happy and sad. He did, among other things, further my love of great music. Read the lyrics to Come Pick Me Up and you might catch a glimpse of what I am talking about.