Sunday, November 07, 2004

Talent

Talent: a special often creative or artistic aptitude b : general intelligence or mental power : ABILITY : a person of talent or a group of persons of talent in a field or activity synonym see GIFT- tal·ent·ed /-l&n-t&d/ adjective- tal·ent·less /-l&nt-l&s/ adjective

Truly talented people usually do not realize they have talent. They go through the world sharing their gifts with us and most of the time do not even realize what they are giving to us. Talented people are neurotic. They are a pain in the ass. They are emotional. Sometimes, no, most of the time, they are assholes. It's usually worth it to put up with them.

If you know anything about gymnastics a 10.0 is the highest score you can get. I know a little girl who scored a 9.6 on balance beam. A balance beam is 4 ft off the ground, 16 feet long, and 4 inches wide. A 9.6 is a pretty damn good score. "Katie" came off the beam and the first words out of her mouth were "That routine wasn't my best." Talent she doesn't acknowledge.

My favorite songwriter has beautiful and prolific lyrics. His music can move me to tears. People argue about his songs. He continually makes self deprecating jokes about how bad his songs suck. He complains about his guitar playing ability. His piano playing, according to him, is awful. Talent he doesn't acknowledge.

I know of a person who is a very talented writer. He, however, thinks he writes crap. Those are his words. When I read what he writes I am enthralled. Amazed. Moved. Turned on. His words make me think. He makes me laugh. I want to have fabulous sex after I read him. I'm pretty sure I may be half in love with him. Oh not really in love but you know what I mean. There are tons of people all over the world who believe he is talented. On good days his ego is huge. On not so good days, his confidence level is zero. Talent he doesn't acknowledge.

Maybe these people don't acknowledge their talent because they don't believe in themselves. Maybe it is because they feel the need to push themselves harder. I wish I could tell all these people the way they touch people's lives. The problem is when you beginning telling people how great they are you just create problems. You end up sucking these people dry trying to soak up their talent. Acknowledge talent but admire it from a distance.